All you know about Winnie The Pooh is wrong after reading this!

Based on a picture book called "Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick", Winnie the Pooh is a girl and she’s Canadian.


In 1914, Winnie was rescued by Harry Colebourn a Canadian veterinarian in Ontario. 


The vet named Winnie after his hometown Winnipeg and became the regiment mascot while in training.


Winnie was later bought to the London Zoo during the war.

During her stay at the zoo she was frequently visited by a boy named Christopher Robin who happens to be the son of famous author A.A. Milnethat writes the classic Winnie the Pooh books.


Author Lindsay Mattick is the great granddaughter of the Canadian veterinarian that rescued Winnie, believes that her family’s story must be told.

“At some point, I knew I was going to have a child and I thought, there was no better way to explain to them this amazing family story than to do it as a picture book,” Mattick says.


“And so when I found out I was pregnant a few years ago, I basically had this nine month kind of deadline to take my first crack at writing a picture book.”, she added. 

Comments